NATURAL AREAS CONSERVANCY GIS Intern
Application Deadline: September 1, 2015
The GIS intern will assist the GIS Analyst-Data Manager in analyzing spatial data on the ecological condition of NYC.
- Assisting in querying spatial and non-spatial database and geoprocessing for spatial analysis for Upland
- Forest and Freshwater Wetland Ecological Assessments
- Editing or creating feature classes and attributes
- Creating maps for proposals, field surveys and ecological assessments
- Performing QAQC for land cover data for a collaborative project with researchers
- Assisting GIS Analyst/Data Manager on various GIS projects
Undergrad or Graduate student or graduate with coursework in GIS, biology, environmental science,
ecology, or related fields
Understand cartographic principles such as projections, map scales and topography
Experience in ArcGIS Desktop 10 for geoprocessing and creating maps
Experience with creating and editing feature classes, shapefiles and attribute tables
Familiarity with various raster and vector GIS data formats
Detail-oriented, analytic, and organized
A positive attitude with enthusiasm for GIS and comfort working as part of a team or independently
Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
Available Start Date: September 9, 2015 (by arrangement)
Hours & Duration: 15 – 30 hours per week (by arrangement), for 3 to 4 months
Unpaid; school credit depending on school requirements; limited reimbursement for travel.
Reporting location at 1234 5th Avenue, New York, NY. During M-F, 8-5pm. Flexible Scheduling.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest and resume with the position title to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Review begins September 1, 2015. Position open until filled.